[Numpy-discussion] pytest, fixture and parametrize

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 9 17:27:03 EDT 2018

> On Aug 8, 2018, at 5:40 PM, Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have these guidelines http://www.numpy.org/devdocs/reference/testing.html,

Thanks Matti — that’s clearly the place to document best practices.

>  It was updated for pytest in the 1.15 release, but could use some more editing and refinement.

Giving it s quick read right now, it clearly has not embraced pytest (yet?)

Before we try to update the doc, we should have some guidelines as to the goals.

At the broad level — do we want to make use of the pytest testing
Framework, or just use pytest as a test runner?

I would say that it’s a no brainer, except that he numpy testing
framework already has a lot of the key  features of pytest that we
need.

1) Use pytest only for test running

2) Use pytest features that numpy.testing does not have a good replacement for.

3) prefer pytest features for new tests.

In all cases, I think we should limit ourselves to the less magical
pytest features.

BTW, I see this:

“Setup and teardown functions to functions and methods are known as
“fixtures”, and their use is not encouraged.”

First, is that a typo? I don’t understand what it means. Though I
think I know what a fixture is.

Second — why are fixtures discouraged?

Third, if fixtures are discouraged, rather than banned, we should say
when it is OK to use one.

-CHB