[Numpy-discussion] Sustainability

John T. Goetz theodore.goetz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 11:31:54 EDT 2017

Hello Chuck,
Sustainability is indeed a broad topic and I think it's all too easy to
think broadly about it. Please do discuss the big picture, but I am far
more interested in the practical day-to-day action items that result
from such a meeting. Here are my concerns with regards NumPy
specifically:

* How to handle the backlog of pull requests.

* How to advertise outstanding issues that could be tackled by
developers that are new to NumPy (like myself). This maybe just being
more aggressive with the "Difficulty" tag.

* Coding style has changed within the code-base over time and it would
good to have a handful of functions one can point to as examples to
follow.

Notice these are all on the "ease of contributing" side of
sustainability. I can't address the perhaps larger issues of ecosystem
integration but I suspect NumPy doesn't suffer from being ignored. As
to sponsored work or financial support, I'll look forward to the report
that comes out of these meetings.

Thanks for bringing this up here on the mailing list,
Johann