[Numpy-discussion] PyArray_GETITEM and PyArray_SETITEM

Mmanu Chaturvedi mmanu.chaturvedi at kitware.com
Mon Nov 13 13:53:32 EST 2017

Hello All,

I need to make use of the limited numpy API access Pybind11 gives, in order
to add a feature to it.  It seems to give access to functions from
numpy_api.py [1].  I need to use PyArray_GETITEM and PyArray_SETITEM in
order to get and set array elements [2], these functions / macros  are not
exposed via numpy_api.py, but are in `numpy/ndarraytypes.h`.

We were wondering why aren't PyArray_GETITEM and PyArray_SETITEM exposed
like the rest of numpy API?  Is it possible to replicate the behavior using
the members exposed in numpy_api.py ?  Any help would be appreciated.

Mmanu

[1] https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/1368cbb696ae27b849eed67b4fd31c
550a55dad5/numpy/core/code_generators/numpy_api.py

[2]
https://github.com/pybind/pybind11/pull/1152/files#diff-
52f1945d779be1e60903590907bb9326R241