[Numpy-discussion] Boolean binary '-' operator

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 16:59:51 EDT 2017

About visibility of deprecations: this is *very* tricky - if we make
it more visible, every user is going to see deprecation warnings all
the time, about things they can do nothing about, because they occur
inside other packages. I think in the end the only choice is to have
automated testing that turns warnings into errors, so that these
warnings are caught early enough.

That said, I've certainly taken note of this as an example of the
importance of not changing things just because the current
implementation is not quite logical; there should be a real benefit to
the change. That said, in fairness, I'd argue at least a few of the
deprecation warnings are the result of dealing with bit-rot within
numpy!

-- Marten