[Numpy-discussion] Taking NumPy in Stride workshop at PyData Barcelona

Francesc Alted faltet at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 06:10:36 EDT 2017

>> +1
>>
>> In my experience, there is a lack of deep understanding of numpy works,
>> and people are happy to learn.
>>
>> Gaël
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 09:38:08AM +0200, Jaime Fernández del Río wrote:
>> > I ended up going to the PyData event in Barcelona last month and
>> running a
>> > workshop there. The notebook I used can be found here:
>>
>> > https://github.com/jaimefrio/pydatabcn2017/tree/master/takin
>> g_numpy_in_stride
>>
>> > I was afraid that the content would be too technical, but all the
>> feedback I
>> > got from attendees was that they very much enjoyed it and want more of
>> this
>> > deep technical dives into the belly of the beast.

​When the content is deeply technical and the teacher can really convey its
more hidden details, that says a lot about the teacher :)​  We routinely
have very good feedback from a similar tutorial run by Stéfan van der Walt
at our ASPP annual event:

https://github.com/ASPP/2016_numpy

​but again, this is just a proof of another top-notch teacher in action.​

>> > Of course IRL, contrary to the internet, it is easier to approach
>> someone to
>> > tell them you like what they presented, than to tell them they suck. So
>> maybe
>> > this is just a biased illusion, but until proven wrong I am encouraging
>> anyone
>> > with the knowledge and the opportunity to go ahead and organize a
>> similar
>> > workshop in any conference they go to.
>>

> Jaime, as you know I was there and I really enjoyed the workshop (and the
> talk). I've also received positive comments from others there.
>
> Maybe it is not and ad-hoc workshop for a PyData these days where all the
> buzzwords are Spark, TensorFlow, DeepWhatever,..., but, again, I think it
> was great and it was one of my reasons to go to PyData Barcelona.

​Exactly, and IMO it is precisely this balance between teaching
fundamentals and new technologies what makes a conference to ​stand out and
fullfill different expectations.  And I must say that PyData Barcelona was
pretty good at that.

​Francesc​

> Thanks for the workshop.
>

>> > Jaime
>>
>> > P.S. I also got a chance to catch up with Francesc Alted and Travis
>> Oliphant,
>> > which is always great!
>> --
>>     Gael Varoquaux
>>     Researcher, INRIA Parietal
>>     NeuroSpin/CEA Saclay , Bat 145, 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette France
>>     Phone:  ++ 33-1-69-08-79-68
>>     http://gael-varoquaux.info            http://twitter.com/GaelVaroqua
>> ux

Francesc Alted