[Numpy-discussion] Deprecating matrices.

CJ Carey perimosocordiae at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:21:36 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 6:19 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> This sounds like a reasonable idea. Timeline could be something like:
>
> 1. Now: create new package, deprecate np.matrix in docs.
> 2. In say 1.5 years: start issuing visible deprecation warnings in numpy
> 3. After 2020: remove matrix from numpy.
>
> Ralf

I think this sounds reasonable, and reminds me of the deliberate
deprecation process taken for scipy.weave. I guess we'll see how successful
it was when 0.19 is released.

The major problem I have with removing numpy matrices is the effect on
scipy.sparse, which mostly-consistently mimics numpy.matrix semantics and
often produces numpy.matrix results when densifying. The two are coupled
tightly enough that if numpy matrices go away, all of the existing sparse
matrix classes will have to go at the same time.

I don't think that would be the end of the world, but it's definitely
something that should happen while scipy is still pre-1.0, if it's ever
going to happen.