[Numpy-discussion] Another grant update, & numpy job ad is up!

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Dec 21 20:38:12 EST 2017

Hi all,

Two exciting bits of news:

1) We just posted the announcement of a second grant to BIDS for
NumPy, this time from the Sloan Foundation:

https://bids.berkeley.edu/news/bids-receives-sloan-foundation-grant-contribute-numpy-development

This is for $659,359 over two years, very similar to the
previously-announced Moore Foundation grant. These two grants were
originally written together as one, then split in half between the two
foundations, then the schedules drifted apart... I'm excited to
finally have this all sorted out so we can move ahead with the
original plan!

2) We have successfully navigated UC Berkeley's administrative systems
and posted an actual job opening, which you can apply to *right now*:

https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=24142&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1

We're hoping to hire 2-3 people under that job description, so please
tell your friends, relatives, enemies, whoever. This is a fully open
search and we want our candidate pool to be as large and diverse (in
all senses) as possible, so if you're on the fence about applying, why
not give it a shot? Or if you want to know more, feel free to send any
questions to me (njs at berkeley.edu) and/or Stéfan van der Walt
(stefanv at berkeley.edu) -- we'd love to chat.

We'll also do another round of publicity/reminders in the new year
after everyone's had a chance to recover from the holidays, but wanted
to at least get this out now so those who are interested can start
putting their application together...

-n