[Numpy-discussion] Tensor Contraction (HPTT) and Tensor Transposition (TCL)

Paul pavdev at gmx.de
Tue Aug 15 12:26:10 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I recently spent some time adding python interfaces to my tensor libraries:
  * Tensor Contraction Library (TCL): https://github.com/springer13/tcl
  * Tensor Transposition Library (HPTT): https://github.com/springer13/hptt

Both libraries tend to give very significant speedups over what is
currently offered by NumPY; Speedups
typically range from 5x - 20x w.r.t. HPTT and >>20x for TCL (see
attached, Host: 2x Intel Haswell-EP E5-2680 v3 (24 threads)).
Thus, I was curious if some of you would benefit from those speedups and
if you want it to
be integrated into NumPY.

The HPTT and TCL libraries are respectively similar to numpy.transpose()
and numpy.einsum().

I welcome you to give the packages a try and see if they can help you to
speedup some of your tensor-related operations.

Finally: Which steps would be required to integrate those libraries into
NumPY? Which problems do you anticipate?

Thank you,
Paul