[Numpy-discussion] Changes to generalized ufunc core dimension checking

Feng Yu rainwoodman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 17:04:25 EDT 2016

Hi,

ang2pix is used in astronomy to pixelize coordinate in forms of
(theta, phi). healpy is a binding of healpix
(http://healpix.sourceforge.net/, introduction there too), plus a lot
of more extra features or bloat (and I am not particular fond of this
aspect of healpy). It gets the work done.

You can think of the function ang2pix as nump.digitize for angular input.

'nside' and 'nest' controls the number of pixels and the ordering of
pixels (since it is 2d to linear index).

The important thing here is ang2pix is a pure function from (nside,
nest, theta, phi) to pixelid, so in principle it can be written as a
ufunc to extend the functionality to generate pixel ids for different
nside and nest settings in the same function call.

There are probably functions in numpy that can benefit from this as
well, but I can't immediately think of any.

Yu