[Numpy-discussion] Should I use pip install numpy in linux?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 13:05:52 EST 2016

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 5:57 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <
chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> > 2) continue to support those users fairly poorly, and at substantial
> > ongoing cost
>
> I'm curious what the cost is for this poor support -- throw the source
> up on PyPi, and we're done. The cost comes in when trying to build
> binaries...

I'm sure Nathaniel means the cost to users of failed installs and of numpy
losing users because of that, not the cost of building binaries.

> Option 1 would require overwhelming consensus of the community, which
> > for better or worse is presumably not going to happen while
> > substantial portions of that community are still using pip/PyPI.
>
> Are they? Which community are we talking about? The community I'd like
> to target are web developers that aren't doing what they think of as
> "scientific" applications, but could use a little of the SciPy stack.
> These folks are committed to pip, and are very reluctant to introduce
> a difficult dependency.  Binary wheels would help these folks, but
> that is not a community that exists yet ( or it's small, anyway)
>
> All that being said, I'd be happy to see binary wheels for the core
> SciPy stack on PyPi. It would be nice for people to be able to do a
> bit with Numpy or pandas, it MPL, without having to jump ship to a
> whole new way of doing things.

This is indeed exactly why we need binary wheels. Efforts to provide those
will not change our strong recommendation to our users that they're better
off using a scientific Python distribution.

Ralf