[Numpy-discussion] Should I use pip install numpy in linux?

Robert McGibbon rmcgibbo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:22:49 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io>
wrote:

> I still submit that this is not the best use of time.   Conda *already*
solves the problem.    My sadness is that people keep working to create an
ultimately inferior solution rather than just help make a better solution
more accessible.     People mistakenly believe that wheels and conda
packages are equivalent.  They are not.   If they were we would not have
created conda.   We could not do what was necessary with wheels and
contorting wheels to become conda packages was and still is a lot more
work.    Now, obviously, it's just code and you can certainly spend effort
and time to migrate wheels so that they functionally equivalently to conda
packages --- but what is the point, really?

> Why don't we work together to make the open-source conda project and
open-source conda packages more universally accessible?

 The factors that motivate my interest in making wheels for Linux (i.e. the
proposed manylinux tag) work on PyPI are

- All (new) Python installations come with pip. As a package author writing
documentation, I count on users having pip installed, but I can't count on
conda.
- I would like to see Linux have feature parity with OS X and Windows with
respect to pip and PyPI.
- I want the PyPA tools like pip to be as good as possible.
- I'm confident that the manylinux proposal will work, and it's very
straightforward.

-Robert