[Numpy-discussion] making "low" optional in numpy.randint

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 16:20:49 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 3:58 PM, G Young <gfyoung17 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I sense that this issue is now becoming more of "randint has become too
> complicated"  I suppose we could always "add" more functions that present
> simpler interfaces, though if you really do want simple, there's always
> Python's random library you can use.
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 8:43 PM, G Young <gfyoung17 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Josef: I don't think we are making people think more.  They're all
>> keyword arguments, so if you don't want to think about them, then you leave
>> them as the defaults, and everyone is happy.
>>
>> I believe that Josef has the code's reader in mind, not the code's
>> writer. As a reader of other people's code (and I count 6-months-ago-me as
>> one such "other people"), I am sure to eventually encounter all of the
>> different variants, so I will need to know all of them.

I have mostly the users in mind (i.e. me).

I like simple patterns where I don't have to stare at a docstring for five
minutes to understand it, or pull it up again each time I use it.

dtype for storage is different from dtype as distribution parameter.

---
aside, since I just read this
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11112763

what to avoid.
you save a few keystrokes and spend months trying to figure out what's
going on.
(exaggerated)

"*Note* that this convenience feature may lead to undesired behaviour when
..." from R docs

Josef