[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.11.0b3 released.

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 23:31:39 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 9:15 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 11:05 PM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> (try to send again)

>> Looks like a misleading error message. Apparently it requires scalar
>> arrays (ndim == 0)
>>
>> In [3]: list(range(5))[np.array(0)]
>> Out[3]: 0
>>

> We have a newer version of essentially same function a second time that
> uses squeeze and that seems to work fine.
>
> Just to understand
>
> Why does this depend on the numpy version?  I would have understood that
> this always failed, but this code worked for several years.
> https://github.com/statsmodels/statsmodels/issues/2817

It's part of the indexing cleanup.

In [2]: list(range(5))[np.array([0])]
/home/charris/.local/bin/ipython:1: VisibleDeprecationWarning: converting
an array with ndim > 0 to an index will result in an error in the future
  #!/usr/bin/python
Out[2]: 0

The use of multidimensional arrays as indexes is likely a coding error. Or
so we hope...

Chuck