[Numpy-discussion] Linking other libm-Implementation

Daπid davidmenhur at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 10:06:04 EST 2016

On 8 February 2016 at 18:36, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> I would be highly suspicious that this speed comes at the expense of
> accuracy... My impression is that there's a lot of room to make
> speed/accuracy tradeoffs in these functions, and modern glibc's libm has
> seen a fair amount of scrutiny by people who have access to the same code
> that openlibm is based off of. But then again, maybe not :-).

I did some digging, and I found this:

http://julia-programming-language.2336112.n4.nabble.com/Is-the-accuracy-of-Julia-s-elementary-functions-exp-sin-known-td32736.html

In short: according to their devs, most openlibm functions are
accurate to less than 1ulp, while GNU libm is rounded to closest
float.

/David.