[Numpy-discussion] "Become an Open Source Contributor" workshop

Jaime Fernández del Río jaime.frio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 17:06:08 EDT 2015

Apologies for the cross-posting.

The Data Science Student Society of the University of California San Diego,
or DS3 @ UCSD as they like to call themselves, will be holding biweekly
Python themed workshops starting this fall.  On the week of October 19th,
they will be having yours truly doing a "Become an Open Source Contributor"
piece.  It will be a shortish event, 60-90 minutes, so my idea was to cover
the following:

   1. (15 min) An introduction to the Python data science landscape.
   2. (30 min) An overview of the GitHub workflow that most (all?) of the
   projects follow.
   3. (30-45 min) A hands on session, where we would make sure everyone
   gets set up in GitHub, and forks and clones their favorite project.  Time
   and participant willingness permitting, I would like to take advantage of
   my commit bits, and have some of the participants submit a simple PR, e.g.
   fixing a documentation typo, to NumPy or SciPy, and hit the green button
   right there, so that they get to leave as knighted FOSS contributors.

And this is what I am hoping to get from you, the community:

   1. If anyone in the area would like to get involved, please contact me.
   I have recruited a couple of volunteers from PySanDiego, but could use more
   help.
   2. I'm also hoping to get some help, especially with the introductory
   part.  Given that the crowd will mostly be university students and some
   faculty, it would be great if someone who actually knew what they were
   talking about could deliver a short, 10 minute talk, on Python, data
   science, and academia.  I'm sure we could arrange it to have someone join
   by video conference.
   3. If you have organized anything similar in the past, and have material
   that I could use to, ahem, draw inspiration from, or recommendations to
   make, or whatever, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for reading!

Jaime

--
(\__/)