[Numpy-discussion] Behavior of numpy.copy with sub-classes

Benjamin Root ben.v.root at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 09:28:32 EDT 2015

In many other parts of numpy, calling the numpy function that had an
equivalent array method would result in the method being called. I would
certainly be surprised if the copy() method behaved differently from the
np.copy() function.

Now it is time for me to do some grepping of my code-bases...

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 10:40 PM, Charles R Harris <
charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 8:28 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Jonathan Helmus <jjhelmus at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In GitHub issue #3474, a number of us have started a conversation on how
>>> NumPy's copy function should behave when passed an instance which is a
>>> sub-class of the array class.  Specifically, the issue began by noting that
>>> when a MaskedArray is passed to np.copy, the sub-class is not passed
>>> through but rather a ndarray is returned.
>>>
>>> I suggested adding a "subok" parameter which controls how sub-classes
>>> are handled and others suggested having the function call a copy method on
>>> duck arrays.  The "subok" parameter is implemented in PR #6509 as an
>>> example. Both of these options would change the API of numpy.copy and
>>> possibly break backwards compatibility.  Do others have an opinion of how
>>> np.copy should handle sub-classes?
>>>
>>> For a concrete example of this behavior and possible changes, what type
>>> should copy_x be in the following snippet:
>>>
>>> import numpy as np
>>> x = np.ma.array([1,2,3])