[Numpy-discussion] Making datetime64 timezone naive

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat Oct 17 18:59:16 EDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Alexander Belopolsky <ndarray at mac.com>
wrote:

> Since Guido hates leap seconds, PEP 495 is silent on this issue, but
> strictly speaking UTC leap seconds are "folds."   AFAICT, a strictly POSIX
> system must repeat the same value of time_t when a leap second is
> inserted.  While datetime will never extend the second field to

 allow second=60, with PEP 495, it is now possible to represent 23:59:60 as
 23:59:59/fold=1.

Thanks -- If anyhone decides to actually get arond to leap seconds suport
in numpy datetime, se can decide whether to do folds or allow second: 60.

Off the top of my head, I think allowing a 60th second makes more sense --
jsut like we do leap years. Granted, external systems often don't
understand/allow a 60th second, but they generally don't understand a fold
bit, either....

-CHB

> Apart from leap seconds, there is no need to use "fold" on datetimes that
> represent time in UTC or any timezone at a fixed offset from utc.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov