[Numpy-discussion] Cython-based OpenMP-accelerated quartic polynomial solver

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Fri Oct 2 05:47:30 EDT 2015

On 01.10.2015 03:32, Sturla Molden wrote:
> On 01/10/15 02:20, Juha Jeronen wrote:
>
>> Then again, the matter is further complicated by considering codes that
>> run on a single machine, versus codes that run on a cluster.Threads
>> being local to each node in a cluster,
>
> You can run MPI programs on a single machine and you get OpenMP
> implementations for clusters. Just pick an API and stick with it.

Mm. I've quite often run MPI locally (it's nice for multicore scientific
computing on Python), but I had no idea that OpenMP had cluster
implementations. Thanks for the tip.

I've got the impression that the way these APIs market themselves is
that MPI is for processes, while OpenMP is for threads, even if this is
not completely true across all implementations.

(If I wanted maximal control over what each process/thread is doing, I'd
go for ZeroMQ :) )

  -J