[Numpy-discussion] binary wheels for numpy?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon May 18 00:09:12 EDT 2015

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think permission from Intel is the blocking issue for putting
> these binaries up on PyPI. Even with Intel's permission, we would be
> putting up proprietary binaries on a page that is explicitly claiming that
> the files linked therein are BSD-licensed. The binaries could not be
> redistributed with any GPLed module, say, pygsl.
>
> We could host them on numpy.org on their own page that clearly explained
> the license of those files, but I think PyPI is out.

Can't PyPi re-direct -- so they can actualy be hosted somewhere else, but
"pip install numpy" would still work?

IIUC, The Intel libs have the great advantage of run-time selection of
hardware specific code -- yes? So they would both work and give high
performance on most machines (all?). Much as I am a fan of open source,
there doesn't appear to be anything  as good out there.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov