[Numpy-discussion] numpy pickling problem - python 2 vs. python 3

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Sat Mar 7 06:26:07 EST 2015

On Sa, 2015-03-07 at 10:23 +0000, Robert Kern wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > How about an extra use_pickle=True kwarg that can be used to disable
> > using pickle altogether in these routines?
>
> If we do, I'd vastly prefer `forbid_pickle=False`. The use_pickle
> spelling suggests that you are asking it to use pickle when it
> otherwise wouldn't, which is not the intention.

I like the idea, at least for loading. Could also call it
`allow_objects` with an explanation in the documentation. I would
consider deprecating it and not allowing pickles as default, but I am
not sure that is not going too far. However, I think we should be able
to safely share data using npy.

- Sebastian