[Numpy-discussion] Comments on governance proposal (was: Notes from the numpy dev meeting at scipy 2015)

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 11:12:28 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Bryan Van de Ven <bryanv at continuum.io> wrote:

>> On Aug 27, 2015, at 1:57 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The 'president' idea
>
> ...seems to be predicated on a steady stream of people who: actually want job, don't mind campaigning, are willing to accept any and all blame, and have the technical experience to make "final decisions". As others have pointed out the active developer community for NumPy is not measured in the hundreds (or even the tens, really). So: what is your proposed recourse if you hold an election and no-one shows up to run?

That seems to me a soluble problem, if there's agreement that the
president idea is a sensible one.  One very simple idea would be to
revert to a 'core' system for the term for which there were no
candidates.

On the other hand, I suspect that there are people who care enough
about numpy that they are prepared to step up and take the blame if
things go wrong.

Cheers,

Matthew