[Numpy-discussion] Problems using add_npy_pkg_config

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 13:35:06 EDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Christian Engwer <
>> christian.engwer at uni-muenster.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to use the numpy distutils to install native C
>>> libraries. These are part of a larger roject and should be usable
>>> standalone. I managed to install headers and libs, but now I
>>> experience problems writing the corresponding pkg file. I first tried
>>> to do the trick without numpy, but getting all the pathes right in all
>>> different setups is really a mess.
>>>

>> This doesn't answer your question but: why? If you're not distributing a
>> Python project, there is no reason to use distutils instead of a sane build
>> system.
>>

> Believe it or not, distutils *is* one of the saner build systems when you
> want something cross platform. Sad, isn't it...

Come on. We don't take it seriously, and neither do the Python core devs.
It's also pretty much completely unsupported. Numpy.distutils is a bit
better in that respect than Python distutils, which doesn't even get sane
patches merged.

Try Scons, Tup, Gradle, Shake, Waf or anything else that's at least
somewhat modern and supported. Do not use numpy.distutils unless there's no
other mature choice (i.e. you're developing a Python project).

Ralf