[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: Deprecate np.int, np.float, etc.?

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat Aug 1 18:55:02 EDT 2015

>> Turns out I was passing in numpy arrays that I had typed as "np.int".
>> It worked OK two years ago when I was testing only on 32 bit pythons,
>> but today I got a bunch of failed tests on 64 bit OS-X -- a np.int is
>> now a C long!
>
> It has always been C long. It is the C long that varies between platforms.

Of course, it's that a c long was a c int on the platform I wrote the
code on the first time.

Which is part of the problem with C -- if two types happen to be the
same, the compiler is perfectly happy. But that was an error in the
first place, it never should have passed.

But that's just me.

;-)

Anyway, as far as concrete proposals go. I say we deprecate the Python
types in the numpy namespace (i.e int and float)

Other than that, I'm not sure there's any problem.

-Chris