[Numpy-discussion] Consider improving numpy.outer's behavior with zero-dimensional vectors

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 16:30:21 EDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Sebastian Berg
<sebastian at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Fr, 2015-04-17 at 15:18 -0400, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Sebastian Berg
> <snip>
>> > Hehe, yeah, that difference. But if you really want that, you can
>> > usually do a1[0, 1, ...] if you don't mind the ugliness.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean, although it sounds like a nice trick.
>> This doesn't work for me
>>

> Oh, mindslip. I thought the problem was that maybe scalar assignment
> does not remove trailing dimensions. But the actual reason was that you
> do not have an array on the right hand side. And the assignment code
> isn't sure if you might want to do object assignment in that case, so it
> can't do the funny broadcasting of the left hand side (or trailing
> dimension removing, whichever way around you like to think of it).

Now I'm getting confused

I had thought that these two are the same

>>> a1[0, 1]  = np.array([[100]])
>>> a1[0, 1]  = [[100]]

but trying it out and from your explanation, they are not

I thought Neil's initial use case was that

a1[0, 1]  = np.outer(5, 1)

doesn't work, because of
>>> np.outer(5, 1).shape
(1, 1)

But that works for me.

In any case, the thread is getting long, and I explained my perception
of use cases for np.outer.

Josef