[Numpy-discussion] Automatic number of bins for numpy histograms

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Wed Apr 15 11:24:36 EDT 2015

"Then you can set about convincing matplotlib and friends to
use it by default"

Just to note, this proposal was originally made over in the matplotlib
project. We sent it over here where its benefits would have wider reach.
Matplotlib's plan is not to change the defaults, but to offload as much as
possible to numpy so that it can support these new features if they are
available. We might need to do some input validation so that users running
older version of numpy can get a sensible error message.

Cheers!
Ben Root