[Numpy-discussion] Adding 'where' to ufunc methods?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Apr 1 15:47:35 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Jaime Fernández del Río
<jaime.frio at gmail.com> wrote:
> This question on StackOverflow:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29394377/minimum-of-numpy-array-ignoring-diagonal
>
> Got me thinking that I had finally found a use for the 'where' kwarg of
> ufuncs. Unfortunately it is only provided for the ufunc itself, but not for
> any of its methods.
>
> Is there any fundamental reason these were not implemented back in the day?
> Any frontal opposition to having them now?

The where= argument stuff was rescued from the last aborted attempt to
add missing value support to numpy. The only reason they aren't
implemented for the ufunc methods is that Mark didn't get that far.

+1 to adding them now.

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org