[Numpy-discussion] Generalize hstack/vstack --> stack; Block matrices like in matlab

Stefan Otte stefan.otte at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 09:29:08 EDT 2014

Hey,

quite often I work with block matrices. Matlab offers the convenient notation

    [ a b; c d ]

to stack matrices. The numpy equivalent is kinda clumsy:

vstack([hstack([a,b]), hstack([c,d])])

I wrote the little function `stack` that does exactly that:

    stack([[a, b], [c, d]])

In my case `stack` replaced `hstack` and `vstack` almost completely.

If you're interested in including it in numpy I created a pull request
[1]. I'm looking forward to getting some feedback!

Best,
 Stefan

[1] https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/5057