[Numpy-discussion] multi-dimensional c++ proposal

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 12:58:04 EDT 2014

On 27/10/14 13:14, Neal Becker wrote:
> The multi-dimensional c++ stuff is interesting (about time!)
>
> http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG21/docs/papers/2014/n3851.pdf

OMG, that API is about as awful as it gets. Obviously it is written by
two computer scientists who do not understand what scientific and
technical computing actually needs. There is a reason why many
scientists still prefer Fortran to C++, and I think this proposal shows
us why. An API like that will never be suitable for implementing complex
numerical alorithms. It will fail horribly because it is *not readable*.
I have no doubt it will be accepted though, because the C++ standards
committee tends to accept unusable things.

Sturla