[Numpy-discussion] Scipy 0.15.0 beta 1 release

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Wed Nov 26 07:48:24 EST 2014

Julian Taylor <jtaylor.debian <at> googlemail.com> writes:
[clip]
> There haven't been any real complaints from applications yet, only
> testsuite failure of scipy.
> Either the one thing that is broken in scipy isn't much used or windows
> 32 users aren't using 1.9 yet.

What is broken is calculating eigenvalues of complex-valued sparse
matrices and iterative solution of complex-valued linear equations.
I.e., nothing obscure.

A likely explanation is that win32 + Numpy 1.9 is a less common platform,
and users whose code started failing just infrequently do not report bugs
as easily...

> The majority of f2py should still be working, numpys own f2py testsuite
> passes on win32.

Perhaps the arrays are aligned by chance? I don't think the test suite
repeats the complex valued intent(inout) parameter test many times.

[clip]
> I still don't know what exactly arpack is doing
> different but I also did not have time yet to look at the testcase david
> created.

David's test case is this:

n = 4
x = np.zeros(n * 3, dtype="D")
_dummy.zfoo(x, n)

where the argument is declared as "double complex, dimension(3*n),
intent(inout)"
in f2py. The ARPACK stuff in Scipy also does pretty much just this.

--
Pauli Virtanen