[Numpy-discussion] median filtering a masked array

Daπid davidmenhur at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 04:10:29 EST 2014

On 5 November 2014 19:11, Moroney, Catherine M (398E)
<Catherine.M.Moroney at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> What is the recommended way of doing a fast median filter on an array where only
> certain elements of the array need to be calculated?  I'm trying to avoid a
> nested loop over all (I,J) elements.

Since you are using FORTRAN, I believe the simplest way is to do this
double loop in Cython. While you are at it, if you want to squeeze
cycles, you can implement the median in Cython too. Here is some code:

http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/A-faster-median-Wirth-s-method-td14267.html

/David.