[Numpy-discussion] Guidance to start contribution to Numpy

Maniteja Nandana maniteja.modesty067 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 16:54:32 EST 2014

Hello Charles,
Thanks for the help. I am a computer science major with little maths
background, with interest in natural language processing and machine
learning, both of which involve a lot of calculus, statistics and linear
algebra. I have used numpy quite a lot for clustering, fft and polynomials
like legendre. I have gone through the hacking and howtocode documentation.
My github account is https://github.com/maniteja123. I have been using git
for my local repositories. It would be great if you could suggest where to
have a look at for the ideas, maybe like the roadmap, since there are many
issues and pull requests on repository and I have not yet explored the
breadths and depths of Numpy and scipy, but am totally eager to do so.

Regards,
Maniteja
 Hi Maniteja,

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Maniteja Nandana <
maniteja.modesty067 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone, I'm a third year undergraduate student in Computer Science. I
> have worked in Python libraries for past two years and am interested in
> getting some open source experience in Numpy and it would be great if
> anyone could suggest some bugs or issues that are suitable for a beginner
> to try working on ?

The best way to get started is to read the hacking document
<http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy-0.14.0/reference/hacking.html>, set up a
github account, and then look through the issues and pull requests for the
numpy repository <https://github.com/numpy/numpy> on github. Documentation
fixes, code review, and bug fixes are all good ways to get involved in
Numpy. If you are unfamiliar with git it will be helpful to read up on it
and if you write code you should also read the howtos and style guides
<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/tree/master/doc>.

Also note the bottom posting convention on the list ;)

Chuck