[Numpy-discussion] Missing Data

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 21:22:22 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM, alex <argriffi at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 7:22 PM, T J <tjhnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is the status of:
> >
> >    https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/neps/missing-data.rst
>
> For what it's worth this NEP was written in 2011 by mwiebe who made
> 258 numpy commits in 2011, 1 in 2012, and 3 in 2014.  According to
> github, in the last few hours alone mwiebe has made several commits to
> 'blaze' and 'dynd-python'.  Here's the blog post explaining the vision
> for Continuum's 'blaze' project http://continuum.io/blog/blaze.
> Continuum seems to have been started in early 2012.

It looks like blaze will have bit pattern missing values ala R. I don't
know if there is going to be a masked array implementation. The NA code was
taken out of Numpy because it was not possible to reach agreement that it
did the right thing.

Numpy.ma remains the only solution for bad data at this time. The code
could probably use more love than it has gotten ;)

Chuck