[Numpy-discussion] GSoC: ideas & finding mentors

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 15:30:36 EST 2014

Hi students,

There is quite a bit of interest in GSoC ideas for Scipy and Numpy, which
is great to see. The official application period to submit proposals opens
next week and closes on the 21st, which is in two weeks and a bit. So now
is the time to start discussing draft proposals on the list.

There have been a few ideas posted on the list which haven't gotten enough
feedback yet (FFTs, cluster, ODEs). This may reflect the lack of an active
maintainer of those modules, so it will be harder to find a suitable
mentor. I want to point out that this is also a chicken-and-egg problem: if
you're actively posting and improving your draft and sending some pull
requests to fix some small issues, it shows both your willingness to work
with the community and how you work with core devs to get your PRs merged,
which helps find an interested mentor.

To tackle the student-mentor matchmaking from another angle, I've added on
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/wiki/GSoC-project-ideas a "potential
mentors" field to the idea I know the names for (Stefan and me, for
wavelets). If other potential mentors could do the same for other ideas,
that would be very helpful. I can take some guesses (Pauli, Evgeni for
splines? Chuck, Chris Barker for datetime?) but I haven't added any names.
So please do add your name, keeping in mind that this is to get the process
going and not yet a full commitment.

Final note: you don't necessarily have to be a core developer to be a
co-mentor. If you're an expert on a topic that a student is interested in
and would like to see that project happen, please indicate you're willing
to help.

Cheers,
Ralf