[Numpy-discussion] genfromtxt universal newline support

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Jun 30 12:31:23 EDT 2014

On 30 Jun 2014 17:05, "Chris Barker" <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

>> It's also an interesting
>> question whether they've fixed the unicode/binary issues,
>

> Which brings up the "how do we handle text/strings in numpy? issue. We
had a good thread going here about what the 'S' data type should be , what
with py3 and all, but I don't think we ever really resolved that.

> IIRC, the key issue was whether we should have a "proper"
one-byte-per-character text type -- after all, ASCI/ANSI text is pretty
common in scientific data sets, and 4 bytes per char is a fair bit of
overhead.

> Anyway, this all ties in with the text file parsing issues...

Only tangentially though :-) maybe start another thread if you want to talk
about that?