[Numpy-discussion] ANN: NumPy 1.9.0 beta release

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 23:10:52 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 8:49 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>

>> Looks to me like a fair number of the other test failures are actually
>> bugs in the tests, or could be argued to be so.
>

> Or rather, actual bugs, but not in numpy. I can see this will take a while
> to settle ;)

not really a bug on our side given the old numpy behavior
I was surprised about the failure because it still produces the correct result.

params[nuis_param_index] = nuisance_params
ValueError: shape mismatch: value array of shape (2,) could not be
broadcast to indexing result of shape (0,)

As far as I have figured out based on Christoph's test failures

`nuis_param_index`  is array([], dtype=int32)
and because numpy didn't assign anything, `nuisance_params` was picked
essentially arbitrary along this code path

>>> x = np.arange(5.)
>>> we_dont_care_what_this_is = np.random.randn(10)
>>> x[[]] = we_dont_care_what_this_is
>>> x
array([ 0.,  1.,  2.,  3.,  4.])

Does x[[]] = [] work with numpy 1.9?