[Numpy-discussion] BLAS and LAPACK ABI questions (mostly OSX related)

Robert McGibbon rmcgibbo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 00:07:51 EDT 2014

#4776 is definitely a separate issue. #4007 could be related similar f2c
ABI issues, but I don't think so.  The difference between the gfotran and
g77/f2c ABIs, to my knowledge, is that (1) fortran REAL (single precision
floating point) return values are actually returned as a c double, not a c
float. (2) when return values are complex, the function is actually
implemented with an ABI that looks like a c function with an extra
pass-by-reference argument at the front of the function where the return
value is placed.

Despite the differences in the handling of the return values, I don't think
there is any difference in how float32 parameters are passed *in*, so I'm
not sure that these issues are related to subroutines like SGEMV which is
presumably behind #4007.

-Robert