[Numpy-discussion] numpy.mean still broken for large float32arrays

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:10:15 EDT 2014

On 7/24/2014 4:42 PM, Eelco Hoogendoorn wrote:
> This isn't a bug report, but rather a feature request.

I'm not sure statement this is correct.  The mean of a float32 array
can certainly be computed as a float32.  Currently this is
not necessarily what happens, not even approximately.
That feels a lot like a bug, even if we can readily understand
how the algorithm currently used produces it.  To say whether
it is a bug or not, don't we have to ask about the intent of `mean`?
If the intent is to sum and divide, then it is not a bug.
If the intent is to produce the mean, then it is a bug.

Alan Isaac