[Numpy-discussion] __numpy_ufunc__

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 14:53:32 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> Weirdly, I never received Chuck's original email in this thread. Should
> some list admin be informed?

Also weirdly, my reply didn't show up on gmane. Not sure if it got through,
so re-sending:

It's already in, so do you mean not using? Would help to know what the
issue is, because it's finished enough that it's already used in a released
version of scipy (in sparse matrices).

Ralf

I also am not sure what/where Julian's comments were, so I second the call
> for context :-). Putting it off until 1.10 doesn't seem like an obviously
> bad idea to me, but specifics would help...
>
> (__numpy_ufunc__ is the new system for allowing arbitrary third party
> objects to override how ufuncs are applied to them, i.e. it means
> np.sin(sparsemat) and np.sin(gpuarray) can be defined to do something
> sensible. Conceptually it replaces the old __array_prepare__/__array_wrap__
> system, which was limited to ndarray subclasses and has major limits on
> what you can do. Of course __array_prepare/wrap__ will also continue to be
> supported for compatibility.)

-n