[Numpy-discussion] problems building numpy with ACML blas/lapack

Thomas Unterthiner thomas_unterthiner at web.de
Thu Feb 27 06:40:27 EST 2014

Hi!

(I was contacted about this off-list, but thought it might be worth it
to document this on-list)

I don't remember ever running into problems while using ACML in my numpy
installs. However I never ran the whole test-suite, and I never used
np.einsum (or complex numbers) in my own code. All I can tell you is
that while using numpy with ACML, I never ran into any weird segfaults.

For what it's worth: OpenBLAS has added a lot of AMD-specific
(Bulldozer- and Piledriver-specific, to be exact) code after its 0.2.8
version, which made it slightly faster than ACML on my own machines (at
least for dgemm, I remember some LAPACK calls were a tiny bit slower,
but not so much that it bothered me). Since numpy-integration of
OpenBLAS is significantly better than ACML, I don't bother with the
latter anymore.

You can download the OpenBLAS 0.2.9rc1 -- which includes the
Bulldozer/Piledriver code -- from
https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/releases/tag/v0.2.9.rc1

Cheers

Thomas