[Numpy-discussion] 1.8.1 release

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 26 17:33:32 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>wrote:

> >   - convention is the other option:
> >     - use binary wheel for in-house deplyment to similar systems
> >     - use binary wheels for a well-defined python build:
> >        - for PyPi, that's the python.org builds for Windows and OS-
>
> Thanks - that is a very useful summary.
>
> It would make sense I think to provide numpy wheels like mine via pypi
> - as pyzmq does for example.

Indeed -- and I really appreciate your efforts on this -- I think we should
be able to get the whole "stack" up there pretty soon (though there is an
issue with iPython and readline...) Ralf had put together a test set of
these, too a little while ago.

> In this case, I believe (Chris correct me if I'm wrong) that someone
> running via system python would get the usual compile / install, but
> someone running python.org python would get a near instant numpy,

That's the idea -- though not entirely sure how that would go without
testing.

Also, I think with pip, you need to tell it to look for binary wheels -- it
won't do that by default.

pip install --use-wheel numpy

so that seems like a clear win.

Agreed. The trick is that it's reasonable for users of Apple's python build
to want this too -- but I don't know how we can hope to provide that.

(and macports, and homebrew... but those I feel better about requiring to
build your own -- really, that's what those systems are designed to do)

 -Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov