[Numpy-discussion] MKL and OpenBLAS

Thomas Unterthiner thomas_unterthiner at web.de
Thu Feb 6 07:11:43 EST 2014

On 2014-02-06 11:10, Sturla Molden wrote:
> BTW: The performance of OpenBLAS is far behind Eigen, MKL and ACML, but
> better than ATLAS and Accelerate.
Hi there!

Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but:  do you have any links to the
benchmarks?  I googled around, but I haven't found anything. FWIW, on my
own machines OpenBLAS is on par with MKL (on an i5 laptop and an older
Xeon server) and actually slightly faster than ACML (on an FX8150) for
my use cases (I mainly tested DGEMM/SGEMM, and a few LAPACK calls). So
your claim is very surprising for me.

Also, I'd be highly surprised if OpenBLAS would be slower than Eigen,
given than the developers themselves say that Eigen is "nearly as fast
as GotoBLAS"[1], and that OpenBLAS was originally forked from GotoBLAS.

Cheers

Thomas

[1] http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=3.0