[Numpy-discussion] g77

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 01:49:12 EST 2014

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there any reason to keep support for g77?

Yes. The Windows binary builds still use it. We seem to be getting there
with the Mingw64 toolchain and gfortran, but I'd like to see that proven
(i.e. do a release with it and have that out for >6 months) before
considering dropping g77.

> The last release was in 2006 and gfortran has been available since 2005. I
> admit that there is no reason to drop current support, apart from getting
> rid of some code, so perhaps the question should be: how much work should
> we spend maintaining it?

AFAIK gh-5315 is the first PR in a long time that requires extra work for
g77. I'd say that the current extra workload is acceptable.

Ralf