[Numpy-discussion] 1.9.x branch

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 23 17:14:04 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> *Datetime timezone handling broken in 1.7.x*<https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/3388>
>
> I don't think there is time to get this done for 1.9.0 and it needs to be
> pushed off to 1.10.0.
>
> * <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/3804>*

Darn! that's what we said for 1.8.

However, Sankarshan Mudkavi has written up a NEP, and this is really  a
matter of ripping code out, rather than adding much. Someone familiar with
the code should be able to whip this out pretty easily (I think we've
abandoned for now any hope of "proper TZ handling)

(
https://github.com/Sankarshan-Mudkavi/numpy/blob/Enhance-datetime64/doc/neps/datetime-improvement-proposal.rst
)

Datetime64 is really pretty broken this way -- the sooner it gets cleaned
up the better.

https://github.com/Sankarshan-Mudkavi/numpy/blob/Enhance-datetime64/doc/neps/datetime-improvement-proposal.rst

The trick is that as simple as it may be, someone still needs to do it.

I, for one, am not familiar with the code, and have pathetic C skills
anyway, so it would not be an efficient use of my time to try to do it.

but I will go and edit the NEP and write test cases!

-Chris