[Numpy-discussion] Binary releases

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 17:51:52 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Russell E. Owen <rowen at uw.edu> wrote:

> In article
> <CABL7CQg5vV_Vnp0hbdX+ys6Gt0nPWqehTH3mWb6j65OW9+13aA at mail.gmail.com>,
>  Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 2:45 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > which
> > > linked
> > > linked
> > > linked

> the
> > > mac
> > >

> > That's not exactly the right list - the same installers built on 10.6
> also
> > work on 10.7 and 10.8.
>
> I agree. I'll chime in and give my recommendations, though Ralf is the
> expert:

David is our resident build/distribute guru actually.

> For MacOS X I suggest building binary installers for python.org's python
> 2.7, 3.2 and 3.3 (the 64-bit versions). The result will run on 10.6 and
> later. It is safest to build these on MacOS X 10.6; it may work to build
> on a later MacOS X, but it sure doesn't for some packages.

Agreed. I think we discussed before not providing OS X 10.5 and python 2.6
binaries, that would make sense imho.

> You will have to update to the latest bdist_mpkg to build Mac binary
> installers for python 3. I've not tried it yet.

I just tried, it's now possible to build 3.x binaries with a simple ``paver
dmg -p 3.3``.

> I don't think users expect a binary installer for Apple's python; I
> don't recall ever seeing these for numpy, scipy, matplotlib.... But if
> you do want to supply one,

We don't I think. Just python.org, keeps it simple.

Cheers,
Ralf