[Numpy-discussion] shape is (3,4) or (3L,4L) ?

Mark Bakker markbak at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 04:07:47 EDT 2013

Hello List,

I am teaching a Python programming class where students use their own
computer.

When I create an array with 3 rows and 4 columns, a = zeros((3,4)), and ask
for the shape, shape(a), then some students get (3,4), while others get
(3L,4L).

I guess the 3L and 4L are long integers. I wonder why they don't all get
the same thing. They all installed numpy through Canopy Express. Any
thoughts? Is this a setting in printoptions maybe?

Thanks,

Mark