[Numpy-discussion] NumPy-Discussion Digest, Vol 85, Issue 19

Siegfried Gonzi sgonzi at staffmail.ed.ac.uk
Mon Oct 7 16:40:08 EDT 2013

On 7 Oct 2013, at 21:16, numpy-discussion-request at scipy.org wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 13:38:53 -0500
> From: Aronne Merrelli <aronne.merrelli at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] Equivalent to IDL's help function
>

> There isn't anything quite the same. (I think what you are really asking
> for is a way to print the essential info about one variable name, at least
> that is how I would use the IDL "help" procedure). In IPython, I use the
> whos magic to do something similar, although it just prints this info for
> all variables or all variables of one class, rather than just one variable.
> I do not think there is a way to do it for just one variable.
>
> Here are some examples - you can see this works quite well but it will
> become unwieldy if your interactive namespace becomes large:
>
> In [1]: x = 1; y = 2; z = 3.3; d = {'one':1, 'two':2, 'three':3}
>
> In [2]: whos
> Variable   Type     Data/Info
> -----------------------------
> d          dict     n=3
> x          int      1
> y          int      2
> z          float    3.3
>
> In [3]: whos dict
> Variable   Type    Data/Info
> ----------------------------
> d          dict    n=3
>
> In [4]: xa = np.arange(111); ya = np.ones((22,4))
>
> In [5]: whos ndarray
> Variable   Type       Data/Info
> xa         ndarray    111: 111 elems, type `int64`, 888 bytes
> ya         ndarray    22x4: 88 elems, type `float64`, 704 bytes

Hi

[I hope I am not screwing up the digest reply function here].

I am after a  "whos" which would work in a script. It is not very often that I develop code at the command line.

I am definitely not one of the best  programmers out there but I used "help" a lot in my IDL  scripts and code. Our research group is migrating away from IDL towards Python.

I think Python's help is not the same than IDL's help. I know copying things from other languages is not always a good idea but one cannot argue that IDL's help comes in rather handy while developing and testing code.