[Numpy-discussion] Behavior of nan{max, min} and nanarg{max, min} for all-nan slices.

Daniele Nicolodi daniele at grinta.net
Thu Oct 3 06:06:33 EDT 2013

Hello,

sorry, I don't know where exactly jump in in the thread, it is getting
quite long and articulated...

On 02/10/2013 21:19, Charles R Harris wrote:
> The main problem I had was deciding what arg{max, min} should return as
> the return value is an integer. I like your suggestion of returning 0.

What about returning -1? It is still an integer (on my numpy version the
return value is a signed integer), it still has the property that
a[np.argmin(a)] == nan for a of only nans, but it is easily identifiable
as an anomalous return value if needed.

> One further possibility is to add a keyword 'raise' to make the behavior
> selectable.

I don't like function arguments that change the function behavior.

Cheers,
Daniele