[Numpy-discussion] 1.8.0rc1

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Wed Oct 2 07:51:04 EDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 12:54 +0200, Sebastian Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 10:04 +0100, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> > This is a complicated issue to describe but i think the bottom line is
> > that the test is just wonky here. the behaviour it's checking for is:
> > wrong in old numpy, but we do it anyway (bug)
> > wrong in current numpy without RELAXED_STRIDES, and we get it right
> > (I.e. don't do it, fixed bug)
> > correct in current numpy with RELAXED_STRIDES (and I think the test
> > will pass if you build 1.8 this way?) (fixed bug again, since the
> > definition of "correct" flipped)
> > correct in future numpys

OK, I had a look. And it is the 1-dimensional size-1 special case that
was always "relaxed", but is not anymore. If anyone thinks this is a
problem, we could re-add the special case (rethinking it, it is almost
impossible to hurt, since the array has only one element). Otherwise, I
think the test should check if numpy was compiled with relaxed strides,
for more extensive tests this is necessary anyway.

- Sebastian