[Numpy-discussion] Growing the contributor base of Numpy

Andrea Cimatoribus Andrea.Cimatoribus at nioz.nl
Wed Mar 27 13:12:02 EDT 2013

Oh, I didn't even know it existed!

> Not sure if this is really relevant to the original message, but here is my opinion. I think that the numpy/scipy community would greatly benefit from a platform enabling easy sharing of code written by users. This would provide a database of solved problems, where people could dig without having to ask. I think that something like this exists for matlab, but I have no experience with it. If it exists for python, then it must be seriously under-advertised. The web provides many answers, but they are scattered in all sorts of places, and it is often impossible to contribute improvements to code found online. If such a database could enable some sort of collaborative development it would be a great added value for numpy, and would provide a natural source of new features or improvements for scipy and numpy.

Supposedly that's what scipy-central is for, but it's somehow not yet
reached critical mass and become a household name; I haven't looked
hard enough to have any hypotheses about why not. Surya Kasturi is
working on spiffing it up (see discussion on scipy-dev); I bet they
could use some help if you want to scratch this itch.