[Numpy-discussion] What should be the result in some statistics corner cases?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 17:34:22 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> functions

> if

> values.
> >>
> >> The requirement on the 'out' dtype only exists because currently the
> >> nan function like to return nan for things like empty arrays, right?
> >> If not for that, it could be relaxed? (it's a rather weird
> >> requirement, since the whole point of these functions is that they
> >> ignore nans, yet they don't always...)

> the
> currently
> removal.
> >>
> >> I agree that returning 0 is the right behaviour, but we might need a
> >> FutureWarning period.

> Python
> and

> occurs. In

> >> I have mixed feelings about the whole np.seterr apparatus, but since
> >> it exists, shouldn't we use it for consistency? I.e., just do whatever
> >> numpy is set up to do with 0/0? (Which I think means, warn and return
> >> NaN by default, but this can be changed.)

> so

> >> I don't really have any intuition for these ddof cases. Just raising
> >> an error on negative effective dof is pretty defensible and might be
> >> the safest -- it's a easy to turn an error into something sensible
> >> later if people come up with use cases...
> >
> > related why does reduceat not have empty slices?

> > array([ 6,  4, 11,  7,  7])
> >

> > I'm in favor of returning nans instead of raising exceptions, except
> > if the return type is int and we cannot cast nan to int.
> >
> > If we get functions into numpy that know how to handle nans, then it
> > would be useful to get the nans, so we can work with them
> >
> > Some cases where this might come in handy are when we iterate over
> > slices of an array that define groups or category levels with possible
> > empty groups *)

> > [1.5, 5.0, nan, 7.5]
> >
> > instead of
> > [1.5, 5.0, 7.5]
> >
> > same for var, I wouldn't have to check that the size is larger than
> > the ddof (whatever that is in the specific case)
> >
> > *) groups could be empty because they were defined for a larger
> > dataset or as a union of different datasets
>
> background:
>
> I wrote several robust anova versions a few weeks ago, that were
> essentially list comprehension as above. However, I didn't allow nans
> and didn't check for minimum size.
> Allowing for empty groups to return nan would mainly be a convenience,
> since I need to check the group size only once.
>
> ddof: tests for proportions have ddof=0, for regular t-test ddof=1,
> for tests of correlation ddof=2   IIRC
> so we would need to check for the corresponding minimum size that n-ddof>0
>
> "negative effective dof" doesn't exist, that's np.maximum(n - ddof, 0)
> which is always non-negative but might result in a zero-division
> [...]
So how would you want it?

To summarize the problem areas:

1) What is the sum of an empty slice? NaN or 0?
2) What is mean of empy slice? NaN, NaN and warn, or error?
3) What if n - ddof < 0 for slice? NaN, NaN and warn, or error?
4) What if n - ddof = 0 for slice? NaN, NaN and warn, or error?

I'm tending to NaN and warn for 2 -- 3, because, as Nathaniel notes, the
warning can be turned into an error by the user. The errstate context
manager would be good for that.

Chuck